VIDEO: Battery Care for GEM
Your GEM vehicle is equipped with a battery pack, which supplies the power needed to operate the vehicle.
Batteries perform best when recharged fully and often. Recharge the batteries daily or after each use of the vehicle.
Note that each vehicle is programmed at the factory for a particular battery type. Switching battery types should only be done by an authorized service technician. your GEM Dealer can provide battery-related service.
The following video provides information on caring for flooded or maintenance-free batteries for your model year 2016-18 GEM e2, e4, e6 and eL XD vehicles.
Owners of model year 2016-18 GEM e2, e4, e6 and eL XD GEM vehicles have the option of lithium-ion batteries.
Lithium-ion batteries in your vehicle will not accept a charge unless internal battery temperatures are at or above 41 degrees Fahrenheit (5 C). When ambient temperature is at or above minus-16 F (27 C), the battery heaters will use battery pack energy to warm the batteries to an internal temperature of 41 F (5 C), at which point the batteries will accept a charge. The battery heaters will not operate when ambient temperature is below minus-16 F (-27 C).
When the ambient temperature is below minus-16 F (-27 C), the vehicle should remain in storage until the ambient temperature is at or above minus-16 (-27 C).
Whenever ambient temperature could drop below freezing during storage, make sure the batteries contain at least 20 percent state of charge. Also always connect the charger to make sure the batteries can support operation of the battery heaters and recharge the batteries as needed.
Here's more on the lithium-ion battery setup:
Battery Performance Tips
- New batteries will not perform to their fullest capacity until they have been discharged and recharged 20 to 30 times.
- Batteries should be fully charged before the first use.
- Recharge the batteries daily or after each use of the vehicle.
- Always maintain a full charge on the batteries. For best battery life, avoid discharging the batteries more than 80 percent. When charging allow the full charge cycle to complete.
- Batteries should be at room temperature when recharging. Do not charge batteries at temperatures of 100 F (43 C) or higher.
- Range may be affected by road conditions, terrain, temperature and driving habits.
Battery Handling Precautions
- Always make sure that all 12-volt electrical accessories are grounded directly to the negative post on the terminal board. Never use the chassis or body as a ground connection.
- Make sure vent caps are installed properly and securely during vehicle operation and battery charging.
- Never connect a 12-volt accessory directly to the batteries. Always connect any powered accessory to the 12-volt terminal board.
- Never connect jumper cables to any of the batteries on your GEM.
- Always wear safety glasses or approved eye protection when servicing the vehicle. Wear a full-face shield and gloves when working with or around batteries and electrical connectors.
- Use only insulated tools when working in the battery compartment.
- Always keeps battery terminals and connections clean and free of corrosion at all times. Clean with a terminal brush. Wash with a mixture of one tablespoon baking soda and one cup water. Rinse well with tap water and dry off with clean shop towels.
For tips on charging the batteries in your GEM, watch the Battery Charging Tips video.
For more information, see your authorized GEM Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.